State Resources for Catholic Homeschoolers
Homeschooling is legal across the United States. However, individual states have their own regulations and laws. Some states are more restrictive than others. One of the best ways to learn about the nuances of homeschooling in your state is to connect with a local support or advocacy group. Through your connection with a local Catholic support group, you will get homeschool state resources, information, and connections.
Since regulations vary so much state-to-state, some states are considered more “homeschool-friendly” than others. This depends on the level of regulatory oversight of individual homeschoolers, the type of documentation needed, testing requirements, ability of homeschool students to access services, sports, and classes through the public schools, and the general legal climate.
In addition, some states have more resources available for homeschoolers. In many communities, libraries, civic organizations, arts and cultural facilities, and recreation centers work with homeschoolers to provide activities, discounts, classes, field trips, and engagement opportunities. In other communities, it may be harder to find these types of activities.
Either way, your best resource as a homeschooler is other homeschoolers. Connect with homeschoolers in your area to get tips and advice, curriculum recommendations, field trip opportunities, co-ops, socialization, and emotional and practical support. Your diocese may also have outreach activities, and many parishes have thriving homeschool groups.
Click on your state above to discover these resources:
- State homeschool laws
- Lobbying and advocacy groups
- Catholic homeschool support groups
- Catholic homeschool co-ops
- Hybrid homeschool programs
- Diocesan and parish resources
- Local classes and homeschool programs
- Sports opportunities for homeschoolers
- Umbrella schools
- Catholic shrines & pilgrimages
- Field trips for catholic homeschoolers
- Catholic homeschool conferences
- Public school resources for homeschoolers
- Nearby Catholic colleges, universities, and trade schools